Thursday, August 1, 2013

#fliplang Chat 7/31/13

Last night at 5pm PST, I learned a lot about setting up a Flipped Language Classroom.  Lots of helpful hints, good questions to address and creative Tweeps!  @mosspike Storified the #fliplang chat.  I used his Storify to create my own Storify about the most meaningful posts for me.

One of the questions that plagues me is whether or not to let students review the homework content in class (ie "watch the videos," "do the homework they were supposed to do at home").  If we are trying to recapture classtime, what is the use of re-watching videos or re-doing homework?  Students not accountable will not do the homework and the whole thing fails.  I'm going to DVD and flash drive my vids/content so Internet access should not be an excuse.

One of the things I learned is to continually stress the value and meaning of the homework.


Many, many, many thanks to @srawitten and @srapontarelli for coordinating the first-ever #fliplang chat!  I've learned through Kristin's blog post that @SraSpanglish is also part of the impetus for this chat!  YAY!  Will continue to attend on Wednesdays!