Friday, August 2, 2013

Wacom Bamboo Tablet

I purchased a Wacom Bamboo pen and tablet on Amazon recently.  Tried it out last night.  I recommend completing the tutorial that comes bundled in its software - super helpful as the pen has some special features.

For example, you can just hover 3-5 cm above the tablet to move the cursor. It does not need to actually touch the tablet.  Also, the pen can be modified for right-handed and left-handedness.  There is a button on the pen that can serve as a right-click and other functions as well.

I completed the tutorial and my 9-year-old did not, so he was more frustrated than I was in using the tablet to draw and play games.

Here is his first-ever creation using the "Mona Lisa" app:


The "Drag and Drop" feature is awesome.  Photos can be dragged into Office Docs, Gmail, or copied onto the Desktop.

My 7 year old and 9 year old fought for use of the tablet this morning, so I guess this tool is "kid-approved."  

Also - this is my first Blogger post from my iPhone...hope it turns out okay!

Here is the 7-year-old using the mouse instead of the tablet, but using Bamboo software. Yes, the tutorial is needed! 


Yes, that's a cord from the tablet to the MacBookPro.  There is a wireless converter, but it's an extra $40 or so, so I'll keep it on my Wish List.  

I hope to use the Tablet with Camtasia for tutorials.  I like iPad tutorials, but I have heard that students like to see their teachers talking instead of a disembodied voice.  I have noticed my own students are more attentive when I use Screencast-o-matic's video cam feature.

Knowmia for iPad has this feature but vids must be hosted on their site, and I prefer YouTube export like Explain Everything.  

One more week until school starts!  Yikes!